Just don’t do these things!
How to have good table manners – just don’t do these things!
- Eating with the mouth open
- Making noises; slurping, chewing loudly, burping
- Talking and gesticulating while eating
- Putting too much into the mouth
- Elbows on the table
- Elbows stuck out in a flapping-like-a-chicken position
- Holding the fork or knife in stabbing position
- Hunching over the food like a dog
- Eating too quickly (like there’s no tomorrow); and especially putting food in your mouth before you’re done with the previous mouthfull.
- Clinking cutlery like stirring a tea spoon loudly
- Don’t gesture with your cutlery
- Don’t double dip
- Overloading the plate
- Making a mess at your table with bits of food and spills
- Rocking your chair; getting up and sitting down noisily
- Sticking your little pinky out when drinking your tea cup
- Children should not leave the table without asking first
- Do not leave the table when someone hasn’t finished eating
- Don’t pick up dropped napkins, cutlery – ask for one.
- If you have to polish your cutlery, please do it discreetly or unseen.
- Do not put used cutlery back on the table.
- Don’t take pictures of food or of the restaurant or the buffet.
- Don’t use your fingers or clap or shout hey or wave at your waiter.
- Don’t make a fuss.
- Do not talk down or be rude to your waiter.
- Do not gulp your drinks down.
- Do not get drunk!
- Do not adjust your plate or move the table settings around after it has been set
- Do not reach over, ask for the plate to be passed to you.
- Don’t blow your nose at the table.
- Stop looking at your phone every 15 minutes! Please put your phone and other devices away and leave them on silent.
- Please do not touch up your make up at the table.
- Do not be stingy with your tips, especially if good service was rendered.
But they should not be left free to run around, play and annoy other patrons.
I’m guilty of this, I do this sometimes especially when I want to blog about what I ate. I try to do this very discreetly and swiftly (if I absolutely had to).
Also, photography is completely not allowed in traditional clubs.
Once, my friend’s brother got asked to leave an elegant restaurant in LA.